PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Iran Air? Covid-19.
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2020, 22:53
Old Dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stoatsbrother
As a Doc, who has only posted here once before... I can see there are arguments on both sides, but the lockdown side wins:

Yes, a travel ban may seem like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but along with intense testing regimes, travel bans and lockdowns have been part of what has worked in the few countries who have got this under some sort of control.

Framing this in terms of rejection of environmental concerns, or interference with your Libertarian/free-market views is flawed logic. Any belief in yourself/your beliefs/your country being superior and exempt is misplaced. Above all, this is a time for people to show they do believe in helping and protecting others.

It amazes me that the avowedly Christian US politicians, have not yet understood the realities here, and connected them with their own moral compasses... Of course there is lots of brilliant work been done by believers, but they still voted for this transparently uncharitable man, whose approval rating has actually gone up recently!

Lastly; there may well come a time when - hopefully - mainland Europe and the UK are on top of all this, and infection is being managed in a sustainable way until a vaccine or treatment is available. I hope so. And at this point - on current evidence - I suspect it will still be out of control in the US, in Africa, and in the Indian Subcontinent. The WHO is already flagging the US as a future epicentre. Then, a travel ban on flights from the US to Europe may become very important.
My point was, if you're going to ban Iran then logically you must ban the rest as well.

So I agree with you.

Today's WHO stats:

Iran = 41,495
America = 161,347