PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2020, 22:22
torvalds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finestkind
Interesting conversation. 1999/2000, if I remember correctly, had an article in one of the aviation magazines on the shortage of pilots and the safety issue associated with this. Where once you needed X amount of hours PIC to be looked at by the commercial airlines this had drastically reduced over the preceding years causing concerns about the safety in the cockpit. This was due to inexperience, particularly in the regionals due to rapid promotion of F/O to fill the seat left vacant of those leaving on min hours to the biggies. 9/11 appeared to solve that problem for a few years. So will this current situation put a brake on the recruitment situation, undoubtedly. The other part of the equation, as mentioned by a few, is the economic situation. After lifting of restriction many people will remain unemployed. They will not be able to afford to fly (even on credit as most people appear to live on). Those that still have employment will not have any leave so no holidays for possibly in excess of 12 months. Business’ with what was once a requirement for face to face dealings probably found during this time that business could be conducted without face to face dealings.

What I am implying is that it is unlikely that aviation will return to “normal” in a short period of time. Just as many business will not reopen their doors it is unlikely that aviation will return to pre virus status within months. I do not see an airline holding onto personnel for months nor personnel hanging in limbo for months without an income.

Best of luck to you all.
Was there an increase in accidents and incidents after the PIC hour regulation's change?
Could anyone please point me to a research on this subject?