PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please support easyJet Pilots and Cabin Crew
Old 25th Mar 2020, 00:53
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AirUK
Be realistic - post-COVID-19 aviation will be a different landscape for all concerned and probably for some time, sadly.
Whist I think this thread was started with good intentions, OP didn't consider his audience - made up of many jobless pilots of which I have the utmost sympathy for.

The problem with the offer from easyjet was the period of time laid out. They proposed (along with unpaid leave in the short term) a slashing of terms for 18 months which a length of time just plucked out of thin air. A reasonable approach would have been initially, a short term solution (2 or 3 months of unpaid leave) and use that downtime to asess what direction the market is going by the early summer and then propose further solutions and compromises. Perhaps we'll find out that their initial offering was nowhere near strong enough to make enough of a difference to protect jobs. Reassessments will most likely lead to more unpaid leave or the blunt reality that terms will then have to be slashed if we are to survive. If they're not flying over 2-3 months, then any change in terms now is redundant, so the rush is therefore clearly a land grab. I don't see any other reason to make those demands from their employees at this stage. When we start flying, I realise that easyjet might need some more operational flexibility from its crew, but that can be discussed then when the dust has begun to settle.

I apprecieate many have been made redundant over the last 3 years but that wasn't the case at easyjet, it remained profitable throughout its lifespan, so the rush to the bottom seems either like an overreaction, or the ryanair style land grab proposed.