PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Solutions testing day
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2003, 07:27
PPRuNe Towers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now let's just calm down for a while.

While it's admirable to request that the thread stays on track this has never in the history of the site prevented drift, general discussion or the seeking of allied information.

So let's keep this fair.

M.85 makes use of the forums other than these in a way that most wannabees don't. She or he isn't actually an entirely inexperienced pilot. A glance at posts made clearly show this - freight operations with metros and Beech 1900's are mentioned. Despite English not being a first language thoughtful questions are asked on other forums which extend well beyond the normal breathless gasping for first job stuff.

Aviate makes a series of valid points regarding changes to the trade extending time and financial outlay before achieving that first fully salaried permanent contract - something those running the types of courses under discussion didn't have to consider. Many of the questions and points are exactly the ones I'd raise if I didn't know CH4.

However, I suspect quite few eyebrows join mine quizically raised at the selfless devotion of 'opsmaneurope' to each and every mention of Global and Storm. Roughly 85% of 39 posts since September 2002. Luckily I'm not of a nasty suspicious disposition or I'd have to add a health warning to just about every post you make.

But enough of this carefree banter, CH4 has a successful business in an area where reputation amongst working pro pilots and engineers is the most vital asset. He does this to make a living - that nasty word profit. The same reason I got out of bed this morning so absolutely no problem there.

Commercial confidentially is regretably part of the stock in trade in the agency business. While it may be frustrating to get repeated questions touching on this he is working on developing a new niche in the market - a lot of learning is going on and great care should be taken in the tone of messages from both sides. No-one should have to put up with abuse but CH4 consider this, you're writing with the exact client knowledge in your head as you type. The readers do not. It seems weak, washy and even evasive compared to a competitor which publishes a definite client list. Please consider this carefully.

Finally, setting aside the confidentiality aspects, any thinking wannabee must be wondering how successful this sort of scheme will be. Taken to its logical conclusion will the initial successful candidates be washed out of that lovely flightdeck by each succeeding wave of paying guests? If it's such a good deal all round surely the airline will adopt it as SOP - it's been alive for a good while at Air Berlin. The concept is self defeating if there's nil chance of being kept on. Only a tiny percentage of pilots find the world of moving from contract to contract suits them.

CH4 - If folks know and accept you're in this to make a living and that it's a win-win deal for your client airline or airlines you've got to expect some pretty searching questions from those considering laying out money to support two other, appparently, far better funded parties.

You're suggesting a considerable amount of extra debt without the protections afforded by company law to the other partners and suppliers in this venture. You're creating a world which is no longer that of the traditional airline interview - the lowly supplicant approaching the giver of jobs and wages.

However, your interview fee alone engulfs the cost of them staying legal and current in the general job market. Thus, with the wannabee now providing a significant part of the financial package, they'd be utterly stupid if there wasn't an element of them interviewing you. Just like we've spent years training them to do at every other stage of the path to a professional licence.

Regards to all,
Rob Lloyd

Last edited by PPRuNe Towers; 19th Nov 2003 at 09:15.