PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 20th Mar 2020, 17:48
MikeSnow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 733driver
Thank you. I'm flabbergasted that this isn't obvious to some people.
I agree. Calling it "just a flu" is like calling MCAS running amok "just a trim runaway". Interestingly, initial reactions here when the MCAS issues were revealed were similar: "it's just media/social media induced hysteria" or "why is this such a big issue, you just do X".

I think the people downplaying COVID-19 will change their tune when their local hospitals are overwhelmed and long queues start forming at the cemeteries, like it's happening now in Italy.

Yes, technically it's a flu. But a flu that is very easy to spread and has demonstrated its ability to overwhelm healthcare facilities very fast, and seems to be more lethal compared to regular flu. But, since exponential growth is unintuitive to most people, it's hard for many to understand that having a perfectly manageable number of cases today can turn into hell in just a week or so.

Yes, we shouldn't panic, as panic doesn't solve anything. Yes, we should try to protect businesses and the economy. But don't call it "just a flu". It really isn't. And in my opinion the authorities are not overreacting. In fact I think in most cases they are underreacting and not taking strong enough measures until it's too late.