PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NCA and WSOp
Thread: NCA and WSOp
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2003, 04:16
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now we are hetting somewhere. OASC will be highly unimpressed that the AIR is selecting you for RAF NCA.

They would much rather make the selection themselves. Don't shut your options down before you enter the race. As far as brevets go, NCA WSOp will limit you to the north of Scotland for the foreseeable future. Do you like ski-ing? Would you marry a Scot, that is, if she would marry an English man?

WSO OTOH could see you in a cockpit for the next 15 years of so, after that . . .

Now pilot. Well what more can I say?

Officer aircrew are officers first, aircrew second, they say. But only aircrew have the aptitude to be aircrew.

At interview remember the stock answers. Why did you chose the navy first? Why did you fail the navy twice? Why have you picked the air force as 3rd choice? Get these right and you have done half the interview.

I was doing the relaxing mouth music bit with a nav stude. "Navy eh!, Why did you leave and join the air force?"

"Well I was doing the basic observer course and I heard all the Sea King obs saying how often they crashed. I thought it was a bit too risky so opted out. "

End of conversation. How do you ask what he thinks of flying at 100 feet and warp six, straight and level, popping JP233 all over the place? This was just 3 years before GWI. I guess he was too young for GWI but just right for GWII if he was still in.