PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2020, 07:59
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
In the longer term, I would expect BA to stay with EWR. Look what happened when VS pulled out of CPT? BA still ruling that roost, it's been a cash cow for them.
But Cape Town is a high demand leisure route especially during the northern winter season. Virgin Atlantic were foolish to abandon Cape Town in the first place leaving the route as a monopoly to British Airways especially after South African had axed their LHR flight. VS must have known that there was demand for Cape Town due the airline's data along with any connections on their Johannesburg flight.

Newark is a rather different story to Cape Town though. New York have two major international gateways serving the city whereas as Cape Town only has one.

VS returning to Cape Town was inevitable in my opinion.

With VS axing Newark it's not leaving the route as a monopoly to British Airways in the same way as leaving Cape Town was.

Newark and JFK are basically two New York airport's serving the same city.

Newark basically serves the metropolitan area of New York City. VS and BA already have a large presence at New York JFK. With VS axing Newark and concentrating their New York flights at JFK in cooperation with Delta there is nothing stopping BA doing the same especially as they have American Airlines as their JV partner at JFK.

Either way New York as a destination will still be served.

With VS axing Newark it's not leaving British Airways as a monopoly on LHR.

Let's not forget that United Airlines operate LHR-EWR so Newark will still have a LHR connection. If British Airways did follow suit and axe Newark it will be United Airlines who will have the monopoly on LHR to Newark.

It's no different to British Airways axing LGW to JFK and concentrating their New York flights at LHR.

With VS shortly resuming LGW to New York JFK I wonder if this route will still commence, same with Delta on LGW to Boston.