PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems at Manchster
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2003, 23:10
sacktheboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAN "Fat Cats"

Is Security safe at MAN ??

All extracted from the Metro News Manchester 14/11/2003

It Sickens me to see the smug grins on the faces of the directors of Manchester Airport “(You Fat Cats, Metro News, November 7).”

Security workers have had their lives irreparably damaged by wage cuts yet they reward themselves with as much as 40 per cent Increases on what are already inflated salaries.

An article In Metro News written over twelve months ago by Helen Tither first brought the wage cuts to my attention. I seem to remember that the airport would remain "efficient" and security would not be "compromised". I beg to differ I travelled to Majorca in August and queued for over an hour to reach the security check to find that only one of the gates was open and manned by only five guards.

On questioning the length of time spent in the queue, I was told that it was due to extra security I set off the alarm due to a buckle on my belt and was given a very brief body search. For this "extra" security I had paid a supplement of £9.

I chose to ignore the situation at the time but your article has angered me so much that I write to you in the hope that the people of the North West can feel protected when travelling through Manchester Airport. I fear it is only a matter of time before a major incident occurs due to financial decisions being made which I feel have compromised my safety. Where has my £9 been spent? Where is the extra security? Why are the staff feeling demoralised? Did September 11 tell us nothing? How can the directors enjoy such increases when ordinary members of staff have suffered 40 per cent wage decreases? Too many questions left unanswered.

Security has been compromised at the expense of shareholders, directors' salaries and profits and I, as a member of the general public, am not prepared to stand by and watch this happen. I applaud you for bringing this situation to our attention but I will not feel safe travelling through Manchester Airport until such a time that manning levels are brought to a reasonable level and security guards are remunerated for the responsible job being done.

Nigel Stone Sale Cheshire

Manchester Airport is owned by 10 Greater Manchester Councils and their councillors sit on the airport board. So they must have agreed to these salaries. Could, you tell us how much the councillors are paid for their services to the airport? It would be interesting reading.

E Kime, Marple, Cheshire

The directors of Manchester Airport are no better or worse than most other UK companies which look after the top management and treat the rest of the workforce with contempt.

The workers have only themselves to blame. They are politically apathetic and vote in corrupt and incompetent union leadership and have a blind faith in a Labour party which also treats them with contempt.

Until they are prepared to fight for some workers rights these disparities will continue and we will coninue to be known in Europe as the coolies of the European Union.

Mr W Cope, Altricham, Cheshire

The question I would like to ask is a simple one. Why the hell are these people being allowed to get away with it? The travelling public are being ripped off by these greedy directors. I had to wait in a queue for over an hour this summer with three small children to get past security a manager told me it was due to extra security measures but when I got to the checkpoint there was only one X-ray open. Who are they trying to kid.
On my return I had to wait another hour for my bags at arrivals. Why? No
bloody staff, that's why. For fat cats read read fat rats, it's about time some very
serious questions were asked.

Not Stupid, Sale, Cheshire (Full name & Address withheld)

Last edited by sacktheboard; 21st Nov 2003 at 00:42.