PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS to ground 8 A380
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2020, 07:22
Angle of Attack

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
I can’t see it being any different to the US airlines and Air NZ, pretty much all of the Long Haul fleet will be grounded and not for a month, probably 6 months. They will keep a few token flights to keep trade route open to UK and US but hardly any probably only equivalent to 3 or 4 787 aircraft. Domestic will be cut probably around 30% next month increasing each month as required to possibly 80% reduction and keeping token routes open at dramatically reduced frequency. Leave will be burnt first but it won’t be anywhere near enough, expect thousands of lay offs in office areas, probably a massive cull on Cabin Crew and other front line staff commensurate with the reduction in flying, especially the Casuals, and I’m guessing the are going to go to AIPA to agree on forced stints of LWOP for pilots, all over the board. Who knows whether there will be agreement but even with that there has to be layoffs in pilot ranks too. All training will cease with immediate effect.

Probably looking at halving staff costs while weathering the storm. The might have 2 billion in cash or so but this lumbering giant will be burning huge amounts of cash daily just to survive. There will be some assistance from the government, Airlines were even mentioned in the media today, but it will be token and not a lot in the scheme of things. No I don’t have inside info but I really can’t see it being anything different just looking at revenue and cashflow numbers, they need to take drastic action, in fact it could even be worse than my prediction.