PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2020, 22:21
dutch_oven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blow.n.gasket
Is this the beginning of the end for aviation as a desirable profession in this country !.
Although I think a yes vote is the only option now, I definitely think this new package will make the Qf pilot job less attractive to aspiring youngsters.

The new SO pay is a reduction of up to 50-60% compared to current SOs while the cost of achieving the min requirements are still very high. Also, many of the 500 new recruits since 2016 came from established decent paying jobs. I think many would not have joined Qf under the proposed new SO pay agreement. Last week’s argument was, “yes the new SO pay is low, but the promotion will be fast!”. This week I don’t think that argument stacks up. Things have slowed down as they do quite often in aviation and those stuck as SOs will suffer financially.

On the other hand, if the boom in aviation does return, the new SO pay could still come back to bight Qf on rear end. Qf never really felt the pilot shortage Pre COVID-19. Post COVID-19, if the boom does return, Qf will in time feel the effects of the pilot shortage. The new SO pay could exacerbate the shortage as it greatly reduces to appeal of a Qf job.

So, despite the fact that we really have no choice but to vote yes, I agree that the allure of the profession has taken a huge hit and for Qf the new agreement adds to this. Qf will probably end up regretting this proposed new SO pay in both a slow market and a booming market. In the US, the airlines were forced to throw mountains of cash at pilots when they finally felt the pinch of the pilot shortage.