PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 15th Mar 2020, 14:47
b1lanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
dr_tbd ; Respect , for a first post . Thanks for sharing your views on this .
There is middle ground between : this a just the flu , it will pass , ( which unfortunately I still hear around me ) and putting yourself in full quarantine . It is called social distancing , which is what I believe everyone should do asap.
Of course countries whose population is disciplined by nature or by force will do better than Latin-based open cultures ( e.g Italy, Spain ,France etc.. ) but at one point or another we have all to get our act together.
Social distancing has been implemented significantly in New England and I believe it's intent is to buy time and slow the spread. Hospitals are erecting temporary shelters for initial triage and also increasing staff, schools are closed, businesses are teleworking, church services cancelled, prohibition of large gatherings over 200 for any venue, state house and senate shut down. You can't walk into a police station to file any complaint. Store shelves are empty (including thermometers) and staple foods that will keep for awhile.

What I do see as a potential hole is that we have now started prime seasonal allergy season and given the awareness of Covid, the number of people headed for medical help not knowing is going to increase which could provide an unanticipated vector.