PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2020, 08:21
spacedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
747 fleets

Originally Posted by rog747
Yes - Unprecedented times in Aviation, the likes of which we have never seen before in our lifetimes.
I too wish all my still serving airline colleagues all the best during these worrying times.

Sadly, we likely will see casualties due to the Covid-19 situation in the coming weeks and months which has now escalated to an almost complete shutdown of worldwide air travel including now to the USA.

Virgin Atlantic - They are still 51% owned by Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
Virgin Atlantic was, and I assume still is 'His Baby' and he has very deep pockets.
He saved the airline twice in the past from going bust.

We could now see much earlier retirements of the Boeing 747 of which BA and Virgin still have large fleets.

Not 100% sure on the actual numbers, Virgin only have 5/6 747 in service mainly flying from LGW or MAN to MCO and some other leisure destinations. Plus JFK and ATL from MAN. VS have accelerated the departure of the A340 fleet with immediate effect.

BA have approx 30 747 still in service all bought and paid for. They are slowly being phased out as newer airframes come on line, working towards a retirement date of 2024. While oil is low BA will keep the 747 running. Should oil spike upwards then that could well accelerate the 747 departure from the fleet.
BA are in the process of grounding various aircraft due to the Corona virus with the plan of bringing them back on line if and when the situation improves.