PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlites? Aye or Nae?
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2003, 20:15
tonyhalsall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,
Sorry if I sounded 'sneering' or you feel like the figures were inflated. Of course the one very inflated figure was caused by trying to do this at work with ringing telephones, incpoming email and the like. One BIG mistake early on throws all other calculations VERY skew wiff. 5% interest on £6,000 over 5 yeras is of course £1,500 - not £15,000 - how ironic that my post contained a reference to maths - it is just as well us Brits are so good at making fun of ourselves!! What a plonker I feel now!

Anyway........................................
No sneering intended at all - and the figures were not inflated. I did say that buying chaeper a/c will save money on insurance as you would probably take a 'punt' by insuring third party only. I accounted for approx. £600 hull, passenger and third party costing £1000 year one and reducing with experience (unlikely) ie approx. £4000 over the five years.

The interest calculation is interesting because one way or another the capital cost comes from somewhere and is placed into a normally depreciating asset. Saved money loses invested appreciation interest and borrowed money costs direct interest charges. I used a rough 5% interest charges taking into account that some people would save up and use potential savings, others would take bank loans and others would re-mortgage at the rough average interest only rate of 5%.

The whole point of the post being that it is not cheap to operate a cheap microlight (even at the correct £70/hour) and is even less cheap to operate for example a £45,000 CT2K and anything in between.

Yours, most humbly and with severely slumped shoulders and bowed head

Tony (the mathematician)
PS - Only got back from a trip to Moscow last night and I blame the Vodka - sorry guys