PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS to ground 8 A380
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2020, 06:49
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxxster
Well I will ask you this. Given both Italy and now France have closed all shops and theatres etc, how many Italians or French do you think are now taking internal flights? And the Italians are locked down so not many of them...
Well with cases in the tens of thousands there are still some domestic aircraft aloft in Italy. But Germany, France had similar numbers to Italy then (more now) but a glance at FR24 shows quite an active airspace over those two countries. China from what I've observed hasn't really slowed down their aviation market at all. Now they're looking to be past the peak, South Korea too. Unlike all those countries we have no real interstate rail and driving takes too long. I think air travel between cities is quite essential for the Australian economy

Look at their numbers three or four weeks ago. They are where we are now. Now Italy has over 21,000 cases and 1,450 deaths. We ARE headed there.
With these travel restrictions and a lack of community transmission I doubt we'd be at Italy's position in three weeks. Three weeks ago they had 20 cases and it's now 21,000. But we had about 20 cases 3 weeks ago too, and now we only have 250. Warmer weather, more controllable borders, and a very good testing and monitoring regime implemented by our health services (hats off to those heroes). I think it may be more due to Italian incompetence and an elderly population. Again, South Korea has a similar population and greater initial numbers but has gotten the outbreak under control much quicker. Singapore too.