PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2020, 05:33
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by spacedog
as things currently stand with the price of oil so low, all the 747 are bought and paid for BA will keep them running till the oil price recovers and they become uneconomical to run.
Well KLM announced on Friday 13 March that they are bringing forward the retirement of their fleet of Boeing 747's due to the downturn in air travel. They are being withdrawn from service and will be phased out by the end of March 2020. KLM initially planned to keep the Boeing 747 in their fleet through to 2021.

I wouldn't guarantee that British Airways will keep their fleet of Boeing 747's in service for longer than was originally planned regardless of the fact that they are fully paid for.

They might be bought and paid for but they are definitely not economical to run compared to newer twin engined aircraft in their fleet.

With the USA banning all flights from Europe including the UK British Airways will be particularly hard hit and the fact that they use the Boeing 747 primarily to the USA I can't see the airline keeping them in service for much longer especially with the sharp decrease in air travel.

I hate to say it but I think that the days of the British Airways Boeing 747 fleet are numbered and they will over sooner than many expected.

Expect an announcement by British Airways very soon confirming it similar to that of KLM.

I've yet to see the British Airways BOAC "retro" B747, I need to see that before it's too late 😥