PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London City-3
Thread: London City-3
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2020, 14:48
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
British Airways are to suspend LCY-SNN-JFK-LCY from the 24 March 2020.

For the moment British Airways intend on resuming this service from the 25 October 2020.

Source) www.routesonline.com

I wonder if the route will ever return once it's been suspended. This lengthy suspension could well lead to the eventual loss of the JFK link from LCY. It will take a long time for demand to pickup again once the situation improves and with British Airways having multiple departures a day from LHR and with the forthcoming Elizabeth Line opening I think that we may well be seeing the end of New York from LCY for good.

With the obvious reduction in demand throughout the British Airways network as well as the entire travel industry I could also see LGW to JFK being suspended and eventually dropped in favour of the airline concentrating their New York flights entirely at LHR.

Whatever happens it's bad news all-round. 2020 looks like being the worst year in the modern age of aviation.

I wonder what British Airways will be doing with their sole A318 during the suspension. I wouldn't be surprised if it was sold or at least withdrawn and put on the market for disposal with British Airways probably making an announcement during the summer if not sooner regarding the eventual closure of LCY to JFK.

As much as it be a huge loss to LCY and for those using the route it won't come as too much of a surprise especially since it went down to a single daily flight with one of the two A318's withdrawn and sold to Titan Airways.