PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2020, 01:32
dr dre

Received 372 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by FlexibleResponse
With the recent grounding of 8 A380 aircraft, the number of Qantas aircraft now grounded has grown to 32(?).

What are the odds on Qantas actually ordering new aircraft, especially A350s for Sunrise? Long thin routes like Sunrise only work on the thinnest of margins. In the present environment Qantas is trying to preserve capital by grounding aircraft, not buying more.

With no A350s on order by Qantas for some indefinite time to come, that event would seem to make a YES vote completely redundant, would it not?

I say again, what are the odds?
Don’t forget the planned entry of the A350 is 2023. The virus will be over by then. People will be back flying by then. I’m glad that Qantas has stated that the 350 is a 20 year project. Although it might seem scary out there now the virus threat will subside and people will travel again soon. Well before the planned entry of the A350. Even if management delay the 350 decision they have stated the planned entry to service will be the same.

As far as the profitability of long thin routes go PER-LHR is one of the most profitable for QF. It’s definitely more profitable than the 380 to LHR as has been seen with this announcement.

Also take note how it’s the 380 that was the first to be grounded when times turned bad. You don’t think they would rather have more efficient twin engine aircraft replacing them? I reckon this virus will ensure the demise of the 380 far more quickly than anyone would’ve anticipated.

The only things confirmed by management are a Yes vote will ensure any 350’s ordered are flown by mainline pilots under the LH EBA. As well as a 3% payrise and backpay for existing pilots which is solid gold in the current economic climate.

And if the initial vote is No the 350s will only be flown by an external contractor and there is no guarantee that mainline pilots will be allowed into that external contractor.

Last edited by dr dre; 12th Mar 2020 at 01:47.