PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPL....the drawback
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2020, 15:52
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by excrab
As far as I remember the MPL, once issued, still lets you add another type rating, so you’re not tied to Flybe or the Q400. The only reason for converting to a full CPL after the licence is issued is for single pilot privileges.
the problem is likely to still be finding a company which will employ you, as some are still a bit untrusting of the MPL. I flew with several pilots who had an MPL from Sterling after it went bust, and they had no issues changing company, albeit on the same type.
The above comments are entirely correct.

There continues to be however, a lot of nonsense talked by people in other threads who haven’t a scooby doo about just what MPL entitles.

Emphasising some of the more sensible remarks posted, the phases two & three involves 30 simulator sessions of four hours each. Compare that to a top notch APS course with ten sessions.

Who is, on balance, better prepared for the multi crew type rating course, those with 120 hours experience, or those with 40 hours experience......
I have trained junior birdmen on both.

Your very best APS style customer is probably a better bet than your marginal MPL trainee, as he has demonstrated a steep learning curve over a shorter period of time.

The contents of a type rating course is identical, irrespective of HOW you got there.

So provided the MPL has been issued, what is the problem?

Answer: some outfits simply don’t understand. Might come under the heading of too difficult.....Poppeycock.