PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2020, 01:08
hawk_eye

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
From an outsiders perspective I certainly don’t envy the position QF pilots have been put in with the proposed offer.

I will suggest this though - an EA negotiation is just that. It’s a compromise between both parties and is constantly a work in progress. I implore you all to look at what has happened at Eastern and Sunstate, at QF SH and JQ, and arguably Cobham 717 and Network F100. The single most important thing that you have is a pilot group on one agreement that is not under direct threat from another group entity with another (cheaper) agreement. This is worth its weight in gold.

You must all give serious consideration to securing the flying now - if the aircraft is still 3 years away, you’ll be in negotiations again when the aircraft has arrived and the operation is in its infancy.

It is also worth considering AJ won’t be in the seat forever - you will eventually be dealing with another CEO (this could be good or it could be bad). You may also have a different AIPA Executive - one that may wish to take a more ‘hard line’ approach. That approach will again be much simpler and probably more effective if you have the aircraft secured. You’ll be bargaining from a position of strength - and if you have been doing this ultra long haul flying for 1-2 years, the flying public certainly won’t be arguing with you if you come out next time and say “we need more restrictions, this flying is not safe if we go on like this forever’. The safety card is AIPAs biggest strength - but play it once you have secured the aircraft.