PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympus Aviation Academy (Greece)
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2020, 22:01
Rosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, I don't want the OAA misery to impact the reputation of other Greek flight schools. I would like to answer to those who are interested in doing foreign pilot license conversions and other flight training in Greece, there are flight schools I could recommend based on where former OAA students had been rescued. Off course, for those who could afford paying once again for their training, the cheap OAA thing ended costing more than honest options.
Since the first OAA accident in 2015, many of their former students has been rescued by Sky Aviation Academy. More recently by Ionian Aviation also saved the flight training of some other former students. After having lost 1 to 2 years with the Olympus drama series, they finally got there pilot licenses.. It is not an easy business to a flight school to rescue students with partial and disrupted trainings, who hadn't been flying for months, not to mention the time spent with paperwork to comply with the HCAA.

Those who really want to be trained in Northern Greece (which might be why you get interested about OAA), you have 2 school I can recommend after meeting with their students: Egnatia and Skies Aviation Academy. Egnatia is expensive and the enrollment waiting list might be long, they might be crowed of students, but they are well known across Europe. Skies Aviation Academy, based in Thessaloniki and flying in Alexandroupoli (and probably from a second airport by now) is a more affordable option and most of my friends get their pilot licenses with them. I can say they are not perfect, but they are serious, they get training done and respect their students. If you live in Thessaloniki and are interested about getting a PPL first, why not getting in touch with the Thessaloniki Aeroclub? I don't know anyone who had been train with them would be good to have a feedback. You can then do the CPL IR ME with any other flight schools then after.

For those who just want pilot conversions, especially all the foreigners who PM me, why would you go with a flight school from Northern Greece while you have to go to Athens to sit your 14 written hassle exams with the Greek CAA the HCAA? (I've met with foreign commercial pilots who had felt several times some of these haha!). Ionian Aviation has recently helped OAA students completing their training and getting there pilot licenses. They are based in Athens and fly mostly in Megara, I won't say they are perfect but they helped my friends getting though their flight trainings. Many Foreigner went to OAA to get their foreign license conversions, they had to travel a lot between Thessaloniki, where OAA is based, and Athens, where the HCAA conduct the exams, don't you think it's costly and tiring to travel many times for exams? In my knowledge Ionian Aviation might be the only flight schools based in Athens area that is flexible enough to accept short trainings. Unlike other schools in Megara where if you don't enroll to integrated ATPL or at least a complete CPL flight training, they'd barely talk to you (at least they make load and clear they don't want to train you, unlike OAA that collect your money first and leave you alone if they can't provide you with training).

Good luck