PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates 777-31H, (EK521) Accident - Final Report Out
Old 8th Mar 2020, 13:02
Kennytheking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
Ok ... let’s stop all this. I’m sick of reading all the ideas on TOGA, Airbus Thrust Levers .. what ever.

The cause of the accident was fear. Fear of being called into the office for a “long” landing. The Captain in question had already been in the office ( not a pleasant experience in EK) once before for a “ long landing’.

The point the touched down.. they could have stopped happily and that would have been that. But because of the stupid “ long landing “ warning they went around.. and because of fear, the Captain was not flying the aircraft but thinking of his future. As go arounds under a 1000 feet require a ASR at EK, the FO was probably thinking .. how wIl this affect my upgrade?

I’m sorry.. in EK and FZ, fear is the elephant in the room that no one talks about.

You are only as good as your last sector.
i don’t know the history of the Captain but I am sure a visit to the office would have been noted in the report.

in fact the report goes on to say.....

The Commander and Copilot FDM data on landings indicated that they never touched down beyond the touchdown zone.
i don’t disagree with your point about fear but it does not seem to be supported by the facts in evidence in this case.