PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates 777-31H, (EK521) Accident - Final Report Out
Old 8th Mar 2020, 11:04
Uplinker

Received 118 Likes on 74 Posts
The report won't download for me any more, so I can't check the details, but I wonder why neither pilot noticed that the engines were not spooling up?

Airbus non-moving thrust levers are often criticised, but at least they mean you must always look at the N1/EPR gauges to see what is going on, and this becomes an ingrained part of an Airbus FBW pilot's scan.

Why these pilots did not do so is an interesting question. It seems to me that the moving thrust lever philosophy has some flaws. There have been accidents, such as the 777 crash into SFO, where the levers did not move despite the lack of aircraft energy needing them to, but this was missed.

I wonder if they are sometimes used as a proxy for the N1/EPR gauges, leading to a lack of scan? This is usually not a problem, except when the pilot is expecting the levers to move without further contact, after the TOGA switch is pressed, and the pilot's attention is elsewhere. With FADECs, there is surely no need for a TOGA switch - you could simply push the levers fully forward, and the FADECs would prevent any excedences.

Last edited by Uplinker; 8th Mar 2020 at 11:42.