PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe in trouble ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2020, 08:56
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Dangle View Post
I don't know if it is due to poor management, CEOs stealing money in the form of bonuses, poor internet integration, poor government, lack of advertising, or something else.

Or possibly a global industry that has created an unstable monster in its desire to get the biggest number of people possible airborne, for the lowest possible cost?

Or is that unthinkable hereabouts?
In my humble opinion the common factor with all the failures is debt. Debt that is so large it cannot be managed. Debt that is exacerbated by new aircraft orders, shareholder dividends, profits given to franchisees rather than running it yourself, low load factors, mixed aircraft fleets with associated costs of training/lack of crew flexibility and of course, venture capitalists sucking the business dry . Add to all that competition on certain routes and the money coming in is not even enough to service that debt. Cash is and will always be king. APD is a factor. On the few times I have looked at flights for my yoof who is at Uni in Leeds, the flights were just not competitive with the trains, (well very rarely) even with advance bookings. That £26 (standard rate band A) each way can mean the difference between the choice of rail or air. Then again, the Extinction rebellion types and environmentalists among us will say "good, APD is having the effect of lowering air travel". Until evidence can be provided that over a certain number of miles, air travel is more environmentally friendly than the train per passenger kilometer, then I am afraid I can only see things moving in one direction.