PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expectation for landing a job straight out of Flight Academy
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 15:27
dl_88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorath
Hi everyone, I'm new to this great forum. Hoping to get some good advice from all of you.

I'm starting my Integrated ATPL in April, so I guess I'll be done by Q1 2022, and really I'm just trying not to think of it but, it's fairly fighting to think of the panorama of employment for rookies. My main worry is trying to land a job without any TR, and hoping to get some sort of bonded type of contract... I will definitely NOT go into pay-to-fly or similar type of entry into the industry, since I think it's totally unethical and just bombs the way for future generations of pilots... and worse, if you have the money and not the skill you can just waltz your way in, unbelievable.

I'm starting in European Flyers in Madrid, because it suits me best. Seems to be one of the best schools in Madrid and it's what I can afford since it's where I live and work as a Ground Test Aircraft Systems Engineer for Airbus.

So, the point is... can I expect to find in Europe or Asia any type of job offers for Cadets without TR and 200Hrs in two years time? Or will I have to grind my way to 500Hrs out of my pocket in a SEP, to get more PIC hours, or can I just forget about everything without a self sponsored TR for a A320/B737?

I guess aiming for Asia for a first job without experience is a little farfetched... (note I want to pay off my loan ASAP)

Thanks! Hoping to hear ANY kind of advice / experience / recommendation.
If you are asking this question now, means you have not done much research before committing into this industry. You should have researched your options first before stepping in.

Unless you have deep pockets and willing to be played by airlines doing P2F programs and labelled by other pilots for doing it, there isnt any airlines open to foreign fresh cpl pilots open in Asia.

I myself only took the risk once I was accepted into an airline program. There is no sense committing into a training program so expensive and no prospects at the end.

With this virus around? There are alot of pilots out of job, and they are type rated with heaps of experiences. China put MOST if not ALL of their expat pilots out on no pay leave until further notice. That would have flooded the market, dont forget last year thomas cook folded with their pilots looking for jobs. And not to mention other airlines which folded.

I would suggest to apply to any open cadet program and jump ship at the earliest possible moment if you get admission to an airline tagged program. Dont get suckered by the flight school saying you cant change program half way and it will look bad. Thats just BS. you are paying and working to the goal of getting a job.

a type rating with no hours and no job guarantee is just wasting your money. just get the certifications you need, only when you’re in the airline program that you pay for the rating or if you’re lucky the airline pays for you.

Dont bother coming to asia unless you have type and experience.

All the best and be financially prudent, the recession us upon us now and its a blood bath in the airlines