PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 10 Nov Update Wipes Out Printers
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 23:18
WB627

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts
Well that was all rather interesting....

My PC under the direction of the Microsoft Collective, has been downloading and installing 1809 in various versions since Version 1809 x64 2019-11B installed on ‎08/‎05/‎2018 and because of the problems was uninstalled; it had two goes at installing Windows 10, version 1809 x64 2020-02B (the latest Feb 20120 one) in the last week and on both occasions it took out the printers and was uninstalled to get them back.

As stated above, I had another go tonight and although at one point, I thought I might be a candidate for the Darwin Award, after it rebooted, the printers were all still there. EUREEKA . I have no idea why this time, with the same version as last time 1809 x64 2020-02B, it worked, other than this time I moved all the update files in C \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download into a new folder called Backup Downloads, so the folder was empty and it could not use a previously downloaded file and had to download a fresh copy.

So did all the printers work, well not exactly... The Epson BX525 worked no problems, I am sure the R3000 would have worked if it wasn't in pieces on the kitchen table , the Dymo 450 worked, the Dymo PnP worked, but only with the inbuilt software (I can live with that), but my most important printer the HP LaserJet, didn't

First the spooler kept stopping, not helpful, this seemed to sort itself out when I uninstalled a few of the "redundant" iterations of the installed printers, but I still could not get the HP to print. The PC kept telling me it was ready go, but clearly something was stopping it. I uninstalled all iterations of it but one kept coming back with a "no driver caption". Eventually I got it deleted (disconnected the printer) and manged to reinstall the drivers but it still wouldn't go. The HP trouble shooter was of no help, so in desperation I ran the Windows trouble shooter and that finally got it sorted out.

And just in case you are wondering, these are all things I have tried in the past without success, except for removing the update files to another folder.

So at least I am now on a version of Windows that is supported and gets security updates. Tomorrow, if I am feeling brave, I will have ago at getting the next update.

The input from everyone who has posed on here has been instrumental in getting me to this point and I am grateful to all of you for the help.

WB627