PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sorry I'm only part time
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2003, 14:08
European Crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alf - I support your tenet

Alf,

A little over 10 years ago I was at Hereford undergoing the advance joined-up writing course, where inter alia I was briefed that we should advise pregnant airwomen to have an abortion, in order to stay in the Service. I thought it was in bad taste at the time; now I believe that it was scandalous, and in hind-sight almost beyond belief that we should recommend to our personnel such a Draconian measure.

I agree with you that many of the posts here represent a era that I thought the Services had left behind - it reminds me of the arguments that were floated to counter women aircrew - Oh, there's no room for separate toilets, etc etc. All of it complete Tosh, of course.

Perhaps to remind the other correspondents on this thread, the RAF is not above (most) employment law, unless it relates to security aspects (eg Nationality requirments). This is not an 'imposition' by the RAF - this was signed up to by Parliament. One should also recall the impact the Working Time Directive has had on shift patterns, for example.

I agree that this case may set a precedent - but that is a management issue. Consider: personnel can take time off to study, say, advance basket weaving - what, therefore, is wrong with allowing personnel to devote time to their families when the chips are down. We require of our troops unswerving loyalty; loyalty is a 2-way street. Circumstances must have been dire for this PO to take the case to a Tribunal.

EC.