PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air Cabin Crew comes down with Wuhan Flu/Coronavirus
Old 27th Feb 2020, 12:56
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldnGrounded
It seems you really already know the answer to that question. It can't be determined. Good educated guesses, maybe, and the fact that they believe there are 30 other cases associated with the church group on that flight no doubt fuels those guesses, but that's not proof.

Since we're all guessing, would we guess that the Korean church group was infected while on the trip to Israel, or that one or more of them was already infected before going to Israel? I guess they could all have been infected after returning and the FA infected somewhere/somewhen else, but that's probably not a smart bet.

The mathematics wizards who model the projected spread of infectious diseases rely heavily upon air travel connections and traffic (https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...l-hard-predict). I expect we'll be learning more about KAL's recent flights.
As the incubation time for COVID-19 can be as long as 3 weeks but the infectivity starts after 3 days and it is highly contagious (doesn't need many virus to actually infect) good luck with tracing all the potential contacts of a flight attendant. And then their contacts - and then theirs not to mention that COV(D-19 can survive for sometime on surfaces so you will have to track the airframes and their pax as well. And of course all the Korean Air crews who shared crew rooms/briefing rooms will need to be checked and the tracing of their contacts and theirs. It is also a virus that can be present in an infected person but not show in any of the current tests only to reappear later. I think the "mathematics wizards " have an NP problem on their hands with way too many uncertainties and iterations.