PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Training & Employment prospects
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2003, 06:35
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ylhelico,

What do you mean about foreigners working here for nothing?
I know of no pilots flying for nothing in Canada. The immigration and insurance issues stomp that on the head. Most pilots who come here have experience so they won't work for nothing to start with. The guys with under 500hrs can't get onto insurance so where are the free workers?

As for coming to Canada. Even if you score well on the points believe me it is no picnic. It will take at least 2yrs whether you apply inside or outside the country.

If you have experience that is required in Canada and can find an employer who will battle through the immigration nightmare (HRDC)..... they may allow a work visa to be issued for you but it takes a fair amount of effort to prove that a Canadian cannot do the job you are looking to take.

You don't need an employer if applying outside Canada but the process is at least 2yrs + and involves about 100 photos of yourself, security checks, in excess of $3000 canadian (without lawyer...) and more patience than you can imagine.

If you don't believe me ask Lu Zuckerman.

It is far easier to float into Vancouver harbour on an inner tube with nothing and claim refugee status. You will then get some help, money, food and somewhere to live. Nothing like the predjudice that comes with being white, educated middle class male....

I just got my permanent residence and it just about drove me nuts. You cannot actually talk to someone at immigration. It all goes through the web or you have to fax a question. Most of the persons working there do not know the system and are as useless as a tit on a bull.

Apart from that. Canada is a superb place to fly. The guys I work with are fantastic and the industry here welcoming and liberal in its opportunities. It is worth the hard work.

Good onya Canada and thanks........