PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi moves to Belfast Harbour
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2001, 03:07
controller friendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Electric Sky
As Keep It Lit has said i have no problems about bmi moving to BHD.
I do however,like yourself,wonder if it is the smartest move in the world.
Some people thought i had a problem when i was only stating what i knew was fact about what happens or certainly has happened in the past at BHD.While many bmi staff have gone to great pains to point out that the bus will have no problems on an 1829m runway, i personally for what it's worth think it does not leave much room for error.
Also as someone who once upon a time knelt on runway 22 at BHD with a plastic school issue ruler measuring snow....well what can i say.I also remember A JEA crew after getting a windshear report stating 'fog at LBA windshear at BHD,typical day then'
I have no problems with bmi in fact if i was ever going to Heathrow,they were always my first choice which now leads me on to my last point.It was stated i think by Kiwi that 60% of NI's population is within 15miles of BHD,first of all as BHD & BFS are only 12miles apart,then surely the same also stands for BFS.But the road structure in NI is horrendous to say the least & as BHD is for most the far side of Belfast,i think alot of people are just going to stick to the country roads & use BFS.
Unfortunately since bmi changed their corporate image they also seem to have forgotten that they too,once upon a time, were the one that was getting the cheap deal into BFS!
I think is is very sad that for a company who had such a long standing relationship with BFS that it has come to this
But,like you, i'm not so sure who will really suffer in the long term

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: controller friendly ]