PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates 777-31H, (EK521) Accident - Final Report Out
Old 24th Feb 2020, 12:54
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BizJetJock
Am I the only one to think that there was a complete failure of workload management and prioritisation that the F/O was talking on the radio replying to tower before the Captain had even called for gear up? ....... I can't help thinking that if the PM had not been distracted he might actually have monitored the EPR as required and noticed in time .....
My thoughts too - and, while the Report identifies the revised clearance call as a contributing cause, it is the 11th and very much last in the list! I'd put it much, much higher up there.

That call from ATC could have easily waited and, to me, demonstrates a lack of ATC understanding of what such manoeuvres involve for the aircrew and how long it takes to execute the proceedure. At the very least, ATC should wait till the crew have called "Going Around" which is also effectively the crew saying "OK, I'm ready to talk now!". I may have missed that in the report but it seems they never got the call out.

Also, to terminate the distraction, a swift "Standby!" would have been a good response - but the distraction should not have happened.

I did note the report used the phrase "the primary task of [flying] was momentarily affected [by the ATC call]". Sort of implies that (a) it was a very short call + response and (b) completely misses out the subsequent "OK, so what was I doing before I was rudely interrupted by the radio" moment afterwards which would have added to the delay in getting back on task - which really never happened - hence the result.

Is that a deliberate lifting of the carpet to save ATC embarrassment?

H 'n' H just observes...