PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFPS15 - government decision.
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2020, 13:03
Jambo Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Countdown begins
If you take a ( so far undecided) option to rejoin 75 are you more less likely to leave at 55?
same question if you can return to 05.
Same question to a 75/15 and 05/15 split.
it will present an interesting problem to the planners, and so leaves their jobs even more difficult to forecast. Not that they will be in their present roles to see in the changes.
I see a slow car crash coming, nobody is thinking.
In a nutshell - Yes more likely!

On AFPS05 (or 75) the retirement age is 55. The MOD knew this and hence there was an offer to allign to the NEM so that your service would qualify for a full pension at retirement age - that was an offer to serve to 60 (AFPS15's retirement age) if you had been assimilated after your initial contract.

It didn’t mean you couldn’t leave at 55, but if you did only the legacy part of your pension would be payable at 55. The AFPS15 part would now not be paid until state pension age unless you opted to actuarially commute some of this pension and thus receive a much smaller overall payout.

I think the airships have to look closer at this.... having realised that forcing SP on to 15 meant financial disadvantage if they retired at 55, NEM allignment was the solution. On reversion back to legacy pension schemes negates the need for such NEM allignment, in fact the AP states that service beyond retirement age (continuance) is bespoke to each concerned SP and will be considered on a case by case basis - therefore I think any SP reverting to previous legacy pension TOS who wishes to serve to 60 will not be prevented from doing so and will even be strongly encouraged to do so (Your car crash scenario if they all leave at 55!).

However, those persons who revert must be able to leave at 55 because to be forced to serve to 60 even after aligning under the NEM offer (and I can imagine being told NEM allignment was a choice) would I think be adding to the discrimination suffered by being forced onto AFPS 15 in the first place

Last edited by Jambo Jet; 21st Feb 2020 at 13:12. Reason: grammar