PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Author Seeking Accurate Information Regarding RAF Terminology
Old 15th Feb 2020, 10:39
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MG
The problem with asking here is that most replies are / will be from those who served in the 70s (at best) and their terminology is woefully out of date. I joined in 1985 (so I’m also out of date, having left 5 years ago) and never did my contemporaries call RAF policemen ‘Snowdrops’. The term we used was ‘Scuffers’ but that might not be correct now.

You'll also see that there are terms that the old’uns don’t like, such as ‘skill fade’ and ‘stood up’. It doesn’t matter if they like them or not, they’re still used, but you’ll have a hard time deciphering that on here.

I'm afraid you’re asking the wrong audience. Unless you want historic stories, as told by an old folks’ home, I’d go elsewhere.
Interesting, since the expression "Scuffers", as well as "Bizzies", has long been used to describe policemen in Liverpool, even earlier than the 1970s, so your own suggestion seems pretty historic. Maybe you served with a lot of Scousers! If the OP wants to use this expression , he should also be aware that Liverpool policewomen are called "Judy Scuffers".

Oh, I almost forgot - the OP should also make frequent mention of "Crabs"......

Jack