PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Beware of Virgin Blue"
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2003, 10:14
Amelia_Flashtart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although Virgin Blue is not our "preferred carrier" I have averaged 6 sectors a month with them over the past 18 months.

My personal experience has been very different to those outlined in the Crikey article.

I have always been treated no differently to any of the male passengers by either male or female flight attendants. In fact on several occasions last year both myself and one of my male colleagues were approcahed by Virgin Cabin Crew who were ex Flight West and Ansett who recognised both of us as having been regulars of their previous employers. On one flight we had a quite lengthy discussion with one ex FW flight attendant on the differences between their previous and current employer - none of it negative.

Yes - Virgin is different to the steroetype that we here in Australia have been used to - but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

As for demeaning the image of females - that to me is purely a matter of personal choice. I do not consider it to be demeaning unless the people doing the job look at it as being personally demeaning. I doubt any of the female cabin crew wiould have taken up the job offer if they felt they were being demeaned in any way - they have that choice and can vote with their feet if it's not for them. As long as they are proficient at what they do, and enjoy all aspects of the job and their terms of employment, then who are we to criticise?

The male Cabin Crew I have encountered have been as good as any I have encountered on other airlines both in Australia and overseas.

So what if the Cabin Crew are young and attractive? Weren't we all once? I feel the author of the Crikey article may in fact have a problem with her own advancing years and all that goes with it!!

I believe there are other more important issues that Virgin should address if they wish to capture a greater share of the business market here in Australia before they worry too much about the perceived sexist image some business travellers may have of their Cabin Crew.