PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2020, 12:30
HissingSyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roscoe1
By far the most dramatic and frightening demo was where they had you lower your chin by your chest for a while as the instructor spins, stops spins in the other direction and eventually tells you to raise your head. The sensation is best described as feeling like you've been pitched from your pilot seat, out of the helicopter in a hover at altitude.
Indeed. We were subjected to this in initial training, which meant that I had a chance of recognising it. Does everyone have this experience today?

Originally Posted by [email protected]
It may be but the Coriolis illusion is normally the result of abrupt head movement after being in a steady state turn for some while.
That is the demonstration as described by Roscoe, but I do not think the physics requires the steady state to cause the illusion.
Before posting I looked at a lot of sites about the Coriolis Illusion and there seem to be two distinct descriptions, copied almost word-for-word from site-to-site. The first is like yours and the second like mine. Wikipedia, for instance, is like mine.

Originally Posted by Squawk7700
It has been a very long time since a pilot has discovered a new way to crash an aircraft. There is nothing new here.
Whatever the cause it is unlikely to be new, but how prepared are helicopter pilots these days, to cope with the somatogyral illusions?