PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GT says fatal 737 MAX crashes caused by 'incompetent crew.'
Old 4th Feb 2020, 16:51
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
[QUOTE=retired guy;10678360]Airplanes are living things. The best pilots do not sit in cockpits so much as strap them on. The United States Navy manages to instill a sense of this in its fledgling fighter pilots by ramming them through rigorous classroom instruction and then requiring them to fly at bank angles without limits, including upside down.

The same cannot be expected of airline pilots who never fly solo and whose entire experience consists of catering to passengers who flinch in mild turbulence, refer to “air pockets” in cocktail conversation and think they are near death if bank angles exceed 30 degrees. The problem exists for many American and European pilots, too. Unless they make extraordinary efforts — for instance, going out to fly aerobatics, fly sailplanes or wander among the airstrips of backcountry Idaho — they may never develop true airmanship no matter the length of their career

DRE
Many of them fail conversion course on to civil airlines.

R Guy[/QUOTE

Really. As an ex military trainer myself, I have encountered a few who had trouble adapting to two crew operation, but many failing, I doubt it.