PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing a MD-11 (the hard way is not funny...)
Old 12th Mar 2002, 16:12
TAT Probe

Unhappy

The MD11 has got a reputation as one of the biggest handfuls to fly, and it isn't totally undeserved. I've been Sim and Line instructing on it for the last few years, and I've witnessed some pretty hairy stuff, including some where I've been "handling" (?) it!. .. .I haven't managed to see the video of the Alitalia faux pas, but the guy who taught me to fly the MD11 was Alitalia's ex-chief pilot of the MD11 fleet, and he drummed in the necessity of setting up a crosswind landing well before touchdown, with the crab taken out (so the fuselage is aligned with the runway heading) and a wing down to counter the drift. The explanation was that a last minute de-crab will increase drag as the big rudder is deflected; the rudder, being so high, has a roll moment; and if the de-crab is done early enough the Autothrottle has time to add power and compensate for the rudder induced drag.. .. .Another MD11 expert that I spoke to advised using Flap 50 instead of 35 in a strong crosswind, because the roll freedom (due to the lower deck angle) was better, and wing-tip strikes less likely.. .. .I enjoy the MD11 because it is a constant challenge, but I really think that if an Airbus had as many nasty habits, then our US friends would be full of criticism!