PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GT says fatal 737 MAX crashes caused by 'incompetent crew.'
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 09:37
retired guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
Why do we need the NTSB? This guy nails the cause in paragraph two:

‘’From the NYT:

Oh I see...... ...The cause is using crews of ignorant cheap locals who aren’t real pilots. Obviously hadn’t read Dads book/; stick and rudder.
Sunfish
Nobody is saying that. They are saying that standards are standards and that those should be the same whether you are flying in Indonesia, Ethiopia or anywhere else. Nobody said the poor pilots were ignorant. They may or may not have been well trained which is different matter.
There is an argument being put forward here that to criticise the standards in some countries is to demonise the whole population and is racist. In this context this is pure bunkum.
Consider that until 2016 Lionair for example, was on the EU banned list. Lionair rose from those ashes. So they don't have a long history of excellence in aviation as do some other airlines. This all counts.
So let's drop the racist card and just stick with the hard facts when discussing the competence of airlines or their pilots to operate safely.
When I fly as a passenger I look for the competence of the airline/crew combination and am not at all concerned about their ethnicity. In one airline I worked for recently there were over 30 nationalities flying as pilots. But they all flew to the same standard.
Bye for now.
R Guy