PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights from China
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 23:16
FlareArmed2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slats11
So, you are agreeing that it is exponential, but just disagreeing with my method? Is that all we are disagreeing on? ... Mathematically, yes you are correct. You can't prove an exponential relationship with just 2 points. But ...
"My brother once told me that nothing someone says before the word “but” really counts." - Tyrion Lannister

Originally Posted by slats11
... But you can sure see something which hints at exponential.
Maths and science don't work on "hints". If you have two points on a graph and are asked to draw a line between them, you cannot say that it "hints" at being exponential. Why couldn't it be linear, polynomial, logarithmic, hyperbolic and so forth?

I think you're labouring under the misapprehension that the word "exponential" means "big, scary numbers" or perhaps "big scary numbers getting much bigger". It doesn't mean that at all. I showed you graphically that the exponential rise is decreasing quite quickly, from ~50% to ~25% daily increase--this is good news. Yet you persist in putting up a graph showing total numbers with no context on how they are changing.

It's scaremongering and not very useful.