PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar EBA 2019
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2020, 23:06
Paddleboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE
I’ve heard this argument many times and I don’t really understand it. We’ll be flying east coast Aus to Bali (and beyond). 6 credit hours, 1 sector. Currently that’d be a pretty decent 4 sector day. I know what I’d rather do.
You're considering 1 duty in isolation. All of the long distance stuff is going to be BOC so they can utilize the aircraft during the day for east coast operations. As a result, a Bali return is going to occupy something like 4 days, maybe 5 with the rest periods after. Your 6 hours a day just turned into 2.4 or 3 hours a day. Even the company has acknowledged in the road shows that density is going to decrease. Do you deny that the optimizer has also reduced our density?

As I said above, this agreement if accepted will see us take a literal paycut in dutyhour per dollar to deliver even more than we currently do. Do you dispute this? Management must be laughing their heads off at possibility that they have actually pulled this off. Laughing all the way to the bank, with your money.

To second this, the Virgin Australia 737 international pilot contract in inferior to that if the domestic guys, so the idea that flying further should get us more per hour I think is off.
News to me. Hows the international contract look at Qantas, worse? Regardless, if you want to employ an argument of precedent, then it cuts both ways. How do we compare with Tiger? In both pay and productivity?

Unfortunately the EBA states Narrow Body aircraft for our pay scales. It isn’t aircraft specific. I think we should get paid more for flying more A321s as pilot payscales in Aus have always been based on aircraft size but I simply can’t see that happening.
Capitulation rarely brings with it reward.

The company arent going to give an inch now that we’ve striked. They’d rather waste $100 million on further strikes rather than give us $20 million on a better contract.
My argument has never been against a better contact, it’s been that strike action won’t get us there.
So what will get us there?

Alternatively, what got Ryanair and BA there? How did Ryanair manage 20% against a management team even more arrogant, recalcitrant and militant than Qantas? It wasn't by asking nicely.