PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft destroyed in Afghanistan (USAF E-11A (BACN))
Old 27th Jan 2020, 20:24
Hawk98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Farringdon
Hmm. Perhaps we are seeing different things Auxtank but if the 'roman candle' you speak of is where flames can be seen emanating from the lower fusleage close to the ground, then I'm saying that's the gear well is and this is probably the tires burning if this was a gear up landing (which I'm guessing it was). The wing attachment point seems to have cleanly detached and you can see the open overwing exit which sits above where the wing should be. I'm not sure if this aircraft type has a centre wing tank but if it did you would have expected quite a conflagration in this area but in fact it seems the fuselage wing joint area doesn't seem charred at all? And with the wing in the ditch showing limited burning, she still all looks a bit sans fuel to me.
Pure speculation on my behalf but as you say perhaps the lack of apparent fuel would suggest that the crew jettisoned it prior to the crash landing?
Again what’s left of the fuselage post fire looks like it was relatively intact upon impact less the wings so fingers crossed for the crew. Hopefully more details come to light soon and the location doesn’t cause too much trouble for the ANA/US to secure the site as I imagine they inevitably will if they haven’t already.

Hawk