PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phones Off?
Thread: Phones Off?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2020, 15:56
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b1lanc
I was able to generate spurious messages in our corp G-IV many years ago, admittedly over 30 years old and one of the earlier glass versions. These tests were not intended to validate (or not) RF interference, but to determine if voice encryption while airborne for the execs was at all feasible. At that time, the execs really only had laptops and early analog RF devices. Still, the chief pilot arranged a test and spent a couple of hours working with me because crews were already seeing odd messages appear - particularly disconcerting in ocean crossings and on approach (mentioned one incident descending into Rome in particular). SOP was to have the execs power everything off.
I brought two RF devices on board and could vary the strength of the RF signal with mods from Motorola. Of note, the higher the power output of the radio, the more frequent the faults occurred - but not always. Where I physically sat with the devices also made a difference - again but not always. There were some places in the aircraft where no faults appeared despite cranking the RF power to the max unless I shifted the oreientation of the device. There were other places where minimal power would start to generate messages regardless of orientation although less in number. If I repeated the same tests, I did not get the same results. Very un-scientific but enough that I shut my phone off without being told to do so on every flight after that.
Seems like some correlation going on there. Would be good if we could prove or disprove causation.