PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call + ATC link at JFK
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2020, 19:15
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Dare
It just seems rather tail-wagging-dog to ask the pilots where they’re going. Would it be too complex to create a system where the controllers already KNOW where the aircraft need to Park? Perhaps some sort of data transfer system between the airlines, airport and ATC*. Seems to work in other parts of the world.

*that’ll be $2m in consultancy fees please payable in Bitcoin
In Europe it exists , it is called SWIM .( a Eurocontrol tool )
The main issue as I see it , is that , in many large airports nowadays , ATC manages only the maneuvering area (runways-taxi ways) , and a separate (private) company manages the apron and the gates. In a very large airport ( like JFK) gate management is complex and ATC tries to get rid of it. Sending an aircraft to the wrong gate or worse, a gate already occupied and you can block everything. ATC got rid of than problem and in my view is unlikely to ask for it back.
As to US controllers speaking too fast and in slang, I witnessed once an Iberia A340-600 subjected to this who just stopped taxing, when the controller asked him why he stopped, he replied ." If you can speak slower I can taxi faster."..