PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe in trouble ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2020, 12:17
nicolai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowfat
Well I fly from Newquay to Aberdeen and all he flights are always full. I also take issue with the stupid comment that London to cornwall is quicker by train. Just over an hour by plane and 6 hours by train. At least 6 hours by train. In fact if I have to use the train I drive an hour and half to Exeter rather than my local station which is 3 hours by train to exeter
For Cornwall, yes.

Exeter to London (Paddington) is 2h15m +/- 15m on the train and 1h on the FlyBE, excluding the time for checkin at the airport. That's comparable enough that anyone with business in west-central London and not the Docklands may well take the train from Devon.

Of course the travel time is much worse if you have to get to Exeter airport from far away, and the trains in Devon and Cornwall other than the main line to Exeter are very slow as are the roads, but the train is still comparing well with the plane on that route.

Cornwall (or Devon) to Scotland is no contest, you'll be travelling all day on the train while the plane gets you there in 1h30m. Even to London, the plane from Newquay is rather faster.