PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kauai tour helicopter missing 27th Dec 2019
Old 16th Jan 2020, 07:26
B87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Cantrell
Can Gordy or someone else familiar with the tour route in question discuss why synthetic vision would not provide an adequate escape tool for this situation? ( I realise we've already discussed IFR proficiency, but I don't think that we have specifically discussed synthetic vision products like Foreflight or some of the Garmin products).

For instance, a buddy has a large iPad Pro mounted above the instrument panel of his R66 and that large a display can be quite compelling. There's no question in my mind that I could perform a 0/0 approach to a running landing with that system ( to a runway or piece of pavement) despite the 1/4 or 1/2 second update delay.

What are the particular characteristics of this tour route that would prevent such systems from providing a reliable escape from IIMC? For instance, is the terrain map not accurate to the rugged terrain in the valley?

I realise I'm often guilty of looking for technical solutions to problems that may be more human factors, but my experience with such systems makes me wonder whether such a system could have prevented this accident?
Honestly, I think it would have helped. The area the crash occurred in wasn't one in which you would normally be in a valley or canyon. The rising terrain would typically be behind you at that point, not ahead of you and mostly not alongside either. Looking at the pictures of the crash site that have been released it appears the aircraft hit a ridge whilst heading towards the south west, i.e. back towards the Canyon. It could have been disorientation but I suspect the pilot turned back and found the route back to the Canyon had closed.

As to why it's not fitted, probably the most common argument against is it encourages pilots to take more risks knowing they have something to fall back on. I won't say it's an argument without merit, but to me the issue is that when a pilot does make a mistake (and that happens) they are often almost entirely relying on luck until they break out again. The point was made earlier about having a heading bug set on a safe heading, but not all tour aircraft have HSIs or even attitude indicators. I wouldn't want to rely on synthetic vision, especially in a valley, but if I've screwed up enough that it's synthetic vision, trying to fly a compass heading or just keeping my fingers crossed, I'm inclined to say I'd go with synthetic vision (although I've never used it).