PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe in trouble ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2020, 11:42
OntimeexceptACARS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else thinking that Willie Walsh should but out? IF the government modify APD for all domestics, then BA will be one of the biggest gainers. Its not like Big Airways' predecessors were never subsidised, when they were bailed out for decades by UK plc, as BEA and BOAC. And their bad decisions resulted in not just job losses, but the loss of the UK aviation industry. They rejected a larger, more marketable Trident, a more economical VC10, they even demanded BAC1-11-500s which were different to all others, FFS. And it goes on - Boeing 767s with RR engines that almost no one else was interested in, and I read recently that their A350 fleet have smaller galleys than just about every other produced so far by Airbus.

Whilst I understand that it's not the same as TCX or MON, I too think the government have done a good thing. If you live within 50 miles of London or Manchester, you have lots of travel choices. Most other places don't. London, and London Airways, don't need to get richer with the demise of an airline that really doesn't compete with them.

I'm sure there will be lots of caveats, including looking at lease terms, management decisions, etc, although with any UK government, that might be wishful thinking. Part of me is thinking along the lines of KeyPilot, and wondering if we'll be back here within three years.....

OTEA