PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'd love a bit of guidance
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2020, 19:58
spitfirejock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as you can train at a reputable school in UK (and Europe) utilizing the Modular Route for £50,000 or similar, you can train in the USA at a reputable EASA school for $50,000. The decision to pay TWICE that amount, which has been the subject of the "Integrated vs Modular" debate for decades it seems cannot be litigated or decided in any one post - so I am not going to even try here.

Nevertheless, my opinion, after 45 years experience in the flight training business, is only consider paying TWICE the amount for the same qualification if it is for an airline sponsored scheme with a job guarantee at the end. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype, I mean a 'real' guarantee (subject to your performance naturally). Often in these schemes, the airlines has some skin in the game so it is usually 'real' and something worth seriously considering.

Over the years there have been such legitimate schemes (airline sponsored) where you start with an up front 'competitive' assessment to get a place, are then managed throughout the training by experienced instructors who usually have to send a monthly report to the airline about how you are doing, which culminates in your graduation to a high standard and going straight to the FO seat with the sponsoring airline. Sadly, these were often too expensive for many, but were good schemes nevertheless.

Today, such schemes are very rare indeed, although when you read the marketing hype of many integrated schools you might think they are something similar to what I describe, but they are not.

My advice, read the print carefully and don't be fooled by the hype, make you own independent intelligent decision, but always bear in mind one indisputable FACT: many thousands of pilots today fly for an airline (or do other valuable commercial flying jobs) and only paid half the amount of many thousands of pilots who work for the same or similar airlines - no hype, just fact, so its time to chose your destiny!