PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call + ATC link at JFK
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2020, 14:34
Intrance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jack-daw
Yes, there are comments below the video on Youtube that criticise the deceiving editing of the video.
Any comments here on 'non read-back' are now irrelevant.
Link to full recording from Youtube commenter:
"Larry Keene:
He actually DID readback the "Hold Short" instructions. Someone above posted this link to an extended version of the recording. The readback is right around 3:45"
I can't post a link so search the comment above for his link.
The suggested full recording;

https://archive-server.liveatc.net/k..._Fvu_qyJsHYyJ0

However, this part is missing the whole “what gate do you have” transmission.

So 22L controller clears Delta 300 to proceed on Juliet, I assume after vacating the runway, then hold short of runway 22R. This is read back correctly by Delta 300. The next part in the “full recording” is where they are getting yelled at for already crossing.

So the “hold short and what is your gate” transmission would be a repeat of an already given and acknowledged clearance if my timeline is correct. Possibly not read back because of that. Also possibly the trigger for one of them to be sure that they’re cleared to cross as you kind of expect clearances in a certain sequence. After a hold short clearance you are naturally primed to expect a cleared to cross clearance.

Human factors and the rapid fire non-standard ATC... bad combination. I’m sure the controllers can manage a bunch but it would be great if they could do so in a standardized manner at an airport like JFK. I’d also expect a handoff to the 22R controller for the crossing, seems like the smarter way to handle that.