PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Acquiring PPL in Canada or USA
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2020, 22:35
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
I've licences in the UK, EU, USA and Canada, rented in all of them, trained in the USA and UK.

Originally Posted by Piqueteer
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can assist me as I'm completely green around acquiring a PPL other than the research I've done online.
Background: I'm a UK resident, I have 5 weeks off work next year and I'm looking to do my PPL in USA or Canada to get the licence in an accelerated manner. I'm not as interested in the European schools as I have some family in USA who I would be looking to see before going home.

From my research I've probably got more confused which is why I'm asking the question here, and some of the threads on PPRuNe have answered my questions but some have convoluted things so any help is greatly appreciated.

USA:
  • Had contacts from 3-4 schools in Florida very promptly and they have good reviews. Very swish marketing and operation by first impressions.
Take care of swish marketing. Some American schools are superb, some are just well marketed. Contact people who have trained there, and particularly look hard at the responses to any difficult questions you ask. Did they give you the answers they thought you wanted, or did they give you the answers they thought you needed? If they aren't training at-least a proportion of local students, I'd be suspicious.

Train during a period of time, see friends and family in a different period of time. Don't mix them. If you're going for a dedicated flying course, be dedicated.

Wherever you go, and whatever route you take, do as much study as possible beforehand. In the USA, I'd personally recommend the online Rod Machado courses as being worth every cent. In Europe we're not blessed with such good CBT resources, but the Jeremy Pratt books from AFE are good.

• Will acquire FAA PPL and therefore will have to convert it to an EASA PPL on return
    • I am working on the assumption that I can fly N-REG planes in UK on my return, get the 100 hours needed and then pass the relevant theory laws. Please confirm that is correct as everyone seems to have a different opinion!
You can validate an FAA licence in the UK with a paperwork exercise and what amounts to (in all but name) a UK air law and procedures oral exam. That will let you fly G-reg aeroplanes, which will give you vastly more choice than looking for N-reg aeroplanes. Eventually yes, shoot for the 100hr thing if you are only going for PPL; if you are going for a professional licence, then don't bother as an FAA PPL is good enough to start an EASA CPL course.

The USA and UK are quite different flying environments however. Air Law, radio, weather, information sources, charts, airspace rules - they're all somewhat different. Expect to spend high single figure hours with an instructor in the UK, and several days study at-least before you're safe to fly in the UK on your own.

•  
    • Based on the below: If you hold an ICAO-compliant private pilot licence issued outside Europe, you can convert it to a European PPL. In order to do this, you will need to pass theory exams on air law and human performance as well as a skill test. Additionally, you need to have at least 100 hours as a pilot in the relevant aircraft category, hold a European medical certificate and have demonstrated language proficiency in the language to be used for radio communication.

That's my understanding also, other than that I think it's 100hrs Pilot in command, not just hours as a pilot.
  • Weather in June / July in Florida seems to be okay (less so in July) based on the schools input but can anyone confirm this based on experience?
Just about okay in June, July is getting iffy. March-May should be far better.

Canada:
  • Contacted 7 schools in Canada and no responses yet after 3 weeks but give fairness that it was the Christmas Break.
  • Will get a CAR PPL - presume this works the same as the above so can rake up more hours on return.
Also my understanding - as an aside, if you have either an EASA or FAA PPL, basically all you need is paperwork and a short interview to get a reciprocal Transport Canada PPL

• Weather conditions presumably not as suitable as in USA but aiming to be in Toronto, any ideas on this? Based on research looks okay but USA is stronger contender on that front.
No, but I'm sure you're up to looking up websites that tell you about climate around the world. Don't forget that the USA and Canada are utterly massive, so look at climate as close as possible to where you're considering training - not generically for the country.

I know theres a few questions here but I'm looking more for affirmation around the conversion than anything else. Plus any first hand experience, old hand advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
I have spent some quality time recently at Crystal Aero Group, Crystal River, FL - I was very happy with most aspects of the place, and I think you'd get satisfaction there.

Make sure you fully understand the requirements for visas - I think for PPL you *only* need an M1 training visa, and a supporting letter from a CEVIS approved school in the USA. Make very sure that you have the paperwork right.

Get a good logbook that is detailed enough for both the EASA and FAA systems. There are subtle differences between the two countries' logging requirements, but it's not difficult to get right - mainly just don't go for one of the cheapest PPL logbooks. If you want an off the shelf recommendation, the Pooleys Non-JAR Commercial Pilots Logbook is smart, a sensible size, and I used one for years both sides of the Atlantic without any trouble.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 13th Jan 2020 at 22:55.