PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)
Old 13th Jan 2020, 16:28
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
I watched the film "Only the Brave" last night.
When you fly fires you become very close to those you fly support for....and develop a loyalty with when it comes to helping them when they are at risk and need help.
A great film, see the trailer here:

The film did a pretty good job of showing how fires work, there were a couple things I disagreed with, namely the shot crew would not belittle another crew. There are some politics involved, and the biggest question of all: Why did they leave their safety zone? Some have surmised that because they were primarily a "city" crew, as in their first priority was in saving homes, their "leader" reverted to this mindset. In true "wild land fire" situations and also aviation, our mindset is "unless we are saving puppies and kittens, let it burn, it is just acreage and houses---homes will be rebuilt".

I will go on a limb here while fire, especially in Australia is on people's minds. In the US, most of the kids on the fire line are getting minimum wage, no medical, health or life insurance. When **** goes down, there is nothing to help them. In Australia, I know most are volunteers. We have a charity here in the US that has the "52 club"---basically, would you give a buck a week to help a fellow fire fighter in need......I have done for 14 years now.....maybe if you have a spare shekel or two? At the very least take a look, I know 4 people in this video alone:

Website Here

Last edited by Gordy; 13th Jan 2020 at 16:29. Reason: Spelling