PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E-Exams Roadshow, one day to respond!
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2020, 17:41
chrisbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Likewise, i was in Huddersfield too, having only got my letter on the Wednesday.

First thoughts. The CAA are finally beginning to catch up with the FAA and a computer based exam system which will stop for TK providers to teach the knowledge not the answers.

The only downside and that is the EASA requirement for at lease 120 questions to be examined is that they did not go all the way like the FAA and have just one exam across the whole syllabus. I think they ask 60 questions on the FAA PPL.

The logging on and booking exam end looks clunky especially if people do exams at different training organisations. I recall they said that there are some 320 ATOS and DTO who have exam capability. On the whole the system is ported from the Commercial e-exams and it has that feel except there are fewer test centres on the commercial side.

So the student e-portal, good in theory, and great for the commercial students might be a challenge for recreational pilots who range from 14 years old to 60 and making it wortk will be another job that is going to fall on already under paid instructors. How many 14,15 and 16 years old do you know who can provide a driving licence and utility bill, in addition to a passport to prove their identity.

As far as helping people who dont pass with 100% the printed transcript will list codes of deficiency in knowledge, I presume linked to the learning objectives. A bad fail will not give any codes just say " study harder" or words to that effect.

A pilot is proposed in April/ May with implementation in June when the paper based exams will cease. so the system will be in transition logically for 18 months. Passes on the new system will be on record with the CAA which they can match up with the 1105.

Expect to see a flurry of paper based exams until June.

Disappointed. Using an archery analogy i was hoping they had seen the bulls-eye and scored a direct hit. To me it looks like the CAA have had a shot and then drawn the bulls-eye wherever the arrow landed.